Gerald McGavin Coaching Award: Online Application Closes Jan 9th - Trip to Ireland in August for Winners
posted Jan 3 2017
[ed. the application process used to be by nomination only now it's open to individual application, no nomination process required. The form is online, link below.]
BC Rugby is excited to announce a new-look Gerald McGavin Coaching Award for 2017 and officially invite applications. In conjunction with the BC Rugby U18 Boys’ and Girls’ XVs Teams tour, supported by the Canadian Rugby Foundation, the Gerald McGavin Coaching Award will select two Award winners to act as the Assistant Coaches to each U18 Team, support the Teams’ Tour to Ireland and then attend a four-day mentorship at an International high-performance rugby environment.
The aim of BC Rugby U18 Boys’ and Girls’ XVs Team tour is to provide an elite, competitive experience to aspiring players at a critical point in their development and the Gerald McGavin Coaching Award, administered in partnership with BC Rugby and the Canadian Rugby Foundation, aims to provide that same opportunity for aspiring coaches.
Past recipients have gone onto to become leading coaches within the BC Rugby Provincial Coach pathway. Curry Hitchborn, the 2015 recipient, led the Boys of 1998 to two successive Canadian Rugby Championships, first as a U18 Team in 2015 and then as a U19 Team this past summer. Many of these BC players have since been selected into Rugby Canada’s U19 and U20 programs.
“A coach has the greatest opportunity to positively impact the experience of players, on and off the field, and it’s critical to our collective success that we support the development great coaches who in turn develop great players,” said Annabel Kehoe, CEO of BC Rugby. “This represents a significant investment into coach development and I wish to thank Gerald and the Canadian Rugby Foundation for making this possible.”
The Gerald McGavin Coaching Award will be accepting applications, via an online form
, from Rugby Coaches based in British Columbia from now until January 9th, 2017.
Gerald McGavin Coaching Award Eligibility & Availability
To be considered for the 2017 Gerald McGavin Coaching Award, applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- In 2016, coached a High School Boys’ or Girls’ Team within BC
- World Rugby/NCCP Level 1 ‘Introduction to Competition’ trained
- Completed World Rugby’s ‘Concussion Management’ module
- Completed World Rugby’s ‘Rugby Ready’ module
- Hold a valid passport and have no travel restrictions to Ireland or the United Kingdom
- Upon selection, the two recipients will need to successfully complete a Background Check
Applicants must also be prepared to commit to attending and supporting the following:
- BC Rugby U18 Boys’ and Girls’ XVs Teams planning meeting (early 2017)
- At least one planned Identification session (April/May 2017)
- Provincial Regional Championships, Burnaby (July 1 – 3, 2017)
- Provincial Team camps and exhibition matches (July 2017)
- BC Rugby U18 Boys’ and Girls’ XVs Team Tour (August 2017)
- Professional development at International High-Performance Rugby Academy immediately following the U18 Teams’ Tour (August 2017)
- 2018 BC Rugby Conference (mid-January, 2018)
- Applications close January 9th, 2017
- Selected Gerald McGavin Award winners announced January 14th, 2017, at the BC Rugby Conference
- Teams departure for tour will likely take place between August 8th and August 11th, 2017
- Award winners would return to Canada no later than August 25th, 2017 Click here to complete the online application form