Super Rugby Aotearoa Starts in 25 Days - YouTube Channels for All Five Teams with Ratings
We're counting down the days to actually seeing live rugby again, June 13th, 25 days to go. We took a look at the team offerings on YouTube to get an idea of how the organizations are synced early on, the media departments, coaches, players and how they're engaging their fans.
There were two clear winners, the Blues and Crusaders, showing Day 1 training video. So, based on the most tenuous of threads, we're making an early call for either the Blues or Crusaders to top the table when the season ends on August 16th. You heard it here first.
1. The Blues are on a roll on their YouTube channel, 3 videos in the last day, with their Day 1 training video (2:18) getting 1.8K views, smacking down the competition. It features Beauden Barrett, the new star signing, with a personal best in the Bronco fitness test. They look pumped and ready to roll.
2. Crusaders are only one of two teams to show Day 1 training. It's only a minute long but has 826 views, only surpassed by the Blues. It features celebrity coach Scott Robertson, edged out for the All Blacks job by former Chiefs coach, Ian Foster. Crusaders definitely a favourite to win this truncated Super Rugby season.
3. Chiefs, the last video is from yesterday, not bad, but it's old news and not focused on the team. An interview with All Blacks coach Ian Foster on Chiefs flanker Sam Cane being given the captaincy of the All Blacks. All good but are they focused on the new season.
4. Highlanders slow off the mark, the last video they have is a week ago, an interview with Waisake Naholo & Jeff Wilson.
5. Hurricanes by far the worst of the bunch, last video 3 weeks ago, heritage highlight of Christian Cullen. Do they even know a new season is starting?