Last-Second Penalty Goal Seals Vikes’ Win Over Spartans
from Vikes Media
VICTORIA The University of Victoria men’s rugby team completed the second-half comeback to defeat Trinity Western University, 42-39, Sept. 10 at Wallace Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
1st Half TWU 29, UVic 14
– The Vikes would put the first points on the board, with Jonas Robinson scoring the try and Logan Martin-Feek putting the ball through the uprights on the convert for the 7-0 Vikes lead in the seventh minute.
– The Spartans then began their scoring run, registering one penalty goal and three tries and converts to take a 24-7 lead in the 28th minute.
– Asfand Saeed put a stop to TWU’s run in the 33rd minute, scoring his first try of the season. Martin-Feek made his second convert of the day to pull the Vikes within 10, 24-14.
– Trinity Western added one more try before the half, making it a 29-14 game for the Spartans after 40 minutes.
2nd Half UVic 42, TWU 39
– UVic opened the second-half scoring by way of penalty goal from Martin-Feek to make the score 29-17 in favour of TWU in the 42nd minute.
– Starting a three-try scoring run for the Vikes in the 47th minute, Martin-Feek touched the ball down in the end zone to make it a 29-22 game.
– An Ethan Hager try and Martin-Feek convert brought the score even at 29-29 in the 51st minute.
– Scoring his second try of the game, Robinson gave the Vikes the lead in the 56th minute. With a successful convert from Martin-Feek, UVic went ahead, 36-29.
– A 64th minute try and convert by the Spartans brought the game back to a tie, 36-36.
– Trading penalty goals, Martin-Feek’s 68th minute points would be followed by a 71st minute PG for the Spartans, keeping the score level, 39-39.
– With no time left on the clock, Hager sent his penalty goal attempt though the uprights to seal the win for the Vikes, 42-39.
– After missing the 2021 season due to injury, Martin-Feek wasted no time making an impact in his return, scoring 19 of the Vikes’ 42 points from one try, two penalty goals, and four converts in the win.
– Robinson added a double-digit scoring performance for UVic, notching 10 points from two tries.
– Hager and Saeed added eight and five points, respectively, for the Vikes in the win.
– With the win, the Vikes have now won their last three meetings against the Spartans.
– UVic won its season-opening match for the first time since 2019, which was a 43-31 victory over the Castaway Wanderers, Sept. 7, 2019.
– Victoria starts the season 1-0, while the Spartans fall to 0-1.
The Vikes head to Vancouver, B.C. to take on the University of British Columbia next Saturday, Sept. 17.